Metal Vocals - Critique

mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,621
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
My band have decided to move in a heavier direction and using bands like Children of Bodom, In Flames, Trivium etc. as benchmarks for our music rather than the bands praised here.
And I don't really care that much, I don't love those bands as much as some Dino-acts but they are still in the ballpark of much music that I listen to and I like death-/black-/new thrash-metal as long as it retains a high quality of musicianship and some of those bands have some really sick musicians.
But anyway that is not what is thread is all about...

As we all know finding singers is one of the most tiring and lengthy process when you are putting a band together.
There are a few good singers and when you have cut out the assholes, uninterested posers and heavy drinkers you are left with very few of real value so I have decided to give it a shot myself.
I'm just starting out and trying to develope my technique to a point where I don't hurt myself when I sing or rather do some kind of highpitched growl/scream I am almost there but think I need some critique on my vox. You know I wanna be good (or at least acceptable) before I "audition" for the spot as lead vocalist for my band besides my guitar duties.
So I recorded a clip of myself singing along to a little tiny bit of Slave to the Grind couple of days ago. I had the intenions of recording some longer clips today but I have been partying for three days straight and sleeping in a tent so my voice was blown after about half an hour :tongue:

I've just been doing this seriously for about two or three weeks and want to know if I am on the right track. Notice that this ISN'T singing in the traditional meaning.
Go listen to the bands mentioned above (especially Bodom) to get an idea of what I am aiming for here.

Well, here it is:
http://www.divshare.com/download/12035374-025

It is the same track doubled. One that is totally dry and one with a touch of reverb other than that I have not done anything to it...

I am pretty happy with the overall sound I produce. The tone of my voice so to speak...
The minus is that I have some pitchproblems, being on pitch isn't as important in this style of singing as in regular singing but still important for that style I do.

Some critique would be greatly appreciated! :up:

Comments

• mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,621
    Recorded one more clip today:

http://www.divshare.com/download/12042943-1e3

Pretty much first take and a fair representation of how I sound.

Same deal as with the other track, one dry track and the same track doubled with a touch of reverb mixed in but much lower than the other one...
  • I'm afraid of you now, Mr. Crowely..... :biggrin:
    Are you  sure that you won't get frustrated doing the vocals and diverting your attention from the guitar?  Maybe you aren't one of them, but I know some people have a harder time dealing with vocals while trying to stay focused on the guitar. 

[quote author=guitarrednfeathered link=topic=10772.msg164857#msg164857 date=1279574832]
    I'm afraid of you now, Mr. Crowely..... :biggrin:
    [/quote]

You should be :tongue:
    No, seriously I am still the guy that spends way much time doing his hair and stealing poses from Rudy Sarzo just that I am trying to learn the art of sounding like a psychopatic serial killer :wink:

[quote author=guitarrednfeathered link=topic=10772.msg164857#msg164857 date=1279574832]
    Are you  sure that you won't get frustrated doing the vocals and diverting your attention from the guitar?  Maybe you aren't one of them, but I know some people have a harder time dealing with vocals while trying to stay focused on the guitar. 
    [/quote]

I don't care as long as I get attention :chuckle:
    Actually when I was younger I played guitar and sang, not good but at an acceptable level for a 13-14 year old.
    A few months ago I would actually say that it was no way that I would sing and play the guitar becuase it is harder to play the guitar when you are singing and my then current co-guitarist was pretty miserable. As he left/got kicked (depends on how you look at it) and we got a new guy (one of my best friends) that is just a monster on the guitar I kind of changed my viewpoint.
    Mainly becuase of two reasons:
    a) becuase he is so badass I don't have to play all the complicated guitarstuff if it is going to get played at all.
    b) it is freakin' hard to find singers and I can sacrifice some of the my guitarego if the band (and then of course I) benefit from it. I still get to play solos you know :tongue:
  • .....ohhhh, okay!  So if I ever work on the script for musical about a serial killer, will you audition for the lead????  :up:

Seriously, your attitude with the band cannot be beat.  Very classy.  I can't wait to hear more clips!
    [quote author=guitarrednfeathered link=topic=10772.msg164863#msg164863 date=1279581075]
    .....ohhhh, okay!  So if I ever work on the script for musical about a serial killer, will you audition for the lead????  :up:
    [/quote]

Haha, yeah absolutely :up: :metal:
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    Fuck singers !  :fu:

I applaud you taking over the vocal duties for your band . I also became a singer out of necessity . I only wish I had started earlier . It took a decade or more but I can pretty much hold my own covering the vocals for an entire night now .

Keep working at it . :up:
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    While my preferred style, you do those vocals well Crowley.  As Jeb says it is not easy to do vocals and guitar at the same time.  Keep working at it.  Sounds good, but if you are anything like me, you already know what you want to work on even when people are saying all is good.  There is something you feel needs work.  Way to go Crowley.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,943
    [quote author=guitarrednfeathered link=topic=10772.msg164863#msg164863 date=1279581075]
    .....ohhhh, okay!  So if I ever work on the script for musical about a serial killer, will you audition for the lead????  :up:

[/quote]

Yes but the trouble is that most serial killers I know listen to celine dion 24/7.
    Or in Batemans case, Huey Lewis and Whitney Huston.
    The serial killer musical i like best is by far Sweeney Todd.
    @ Crowley.
    I have quite a bit obscure Black Metal records on which the vocals are much like yours.

So go on ! Burn some churches to the ground and knife some gay people, and you might end up like Emperor, Mayhem and other Norwegian Black Metal bands from the early 90´s.

• inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,653
    Aw, Man. I know it's just sarcasm, but, please refrain from saying stuff like.... "Burn some churches to the ground and knife some gay people".

Now I feel all coppish and guidance counselorish. We don't want to accidentally promote or even discuss this type of thing at Dino Rock.

Thank You,

Rick
  • shaggyshaggy Posts: 860
    I'll bet all the gay churchgoing firemen with no knife wounds are allowed to discuss anything they want on the Celine, Whitney & Huey forums.
    Thanks guys!
    Feels like I am at least on the right path with this thing which was would I wanted to check with this thread :up:

Now I need to refine my technique so the voice can hold up an whole set which it don't do know. At max I am capable of maybe four songs in a row then my voice is pretty shot. Maybe I could do six if it was necessary.
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    [quote author=mr_crowley link=topic=10772.msg165026#msg165026 date=1279730014]
    Thanks guys!
    Feels like I am at least on the right path with this thing which was would I wanted to check with this thread :up:

Now I need to refine my technique so the voice can hold up an whole set which it don't do know. At max I am capable of maybe four songs in a row then my voice is pretty shot. Maybe I could do six if it was necessary.
    [/quote]

I don't know, maybe you should write some instrumental shred interludes.  Then between each song you have an instrumental to give your voice that rest and then you may be able to eak out a few more tunes with your voice in tact.  Just remember to nourish that throat too.  Before I go on when I am the singer I drink something hot (either herbal tea or a Lemon Honey hot drink).  It keeps my throat good for the performance and I don't worry about losing my voice during the set.  I usually drink the same on stage to keep my throat lubricated.  It has worked even when I had a major allergy reactions and colds. 

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,320
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,943
    [quote author=inmyhands link=topic=10772.msg165015#msg165015 date=1279719555]
    Aw, Man. I know it's just sarcasm, but, please refrain from saying stuff like.... "Burn some churches to the ground and knife some gay people".

Now I feel all coppish and guidance counselorish. We don't want to accidentally promote or even discuss this type of thing at Dino Rock.

Thank You,

Rick
    [/quote]

I apologize.
    It´s just that if you read about the early black metal scene in Sweden and Norway AND you have sense of BLACK humour, it is very funny actually.
    I recommend this one:
    It´s well written, yes it is sensationalistic at times, but it treats its subject, and the reader with respect.
    But the people of the early BM scene in Norway ? They are mostly so stupid and outrageous that it´s brilliant, and laughable.
    I don´t condone hate crimes, obviously, in any way of form, and while I detest all organized religion, I consider myself the bigger person and acknowledge religious peoples right to practice their religion (within bondaries !).