Jon Lord is 69 today!

Sun Red SunSun Red Sun Posts: 476
Hey Folkes,

I just thought that after a month of being forced to deal with deaths of those who I'd known (I had actually one more than Ronnie's) - it would be refreshing to celebrate a Birthday Of My Maestro. Someone who happily retains the glorious thone of my top list of Classic Rock Favourites.

Jon Lord is 69 today.

What an age and what a number of years. Double significance in fact, if we are to count the reference to the one of the best years in rock history and also formulative year for his ex-home Deep Purple AND a cool track from 'Abondon' album, retaining this wonderful 'Highway Star'-like groove.

Ranging in career achievements from becoming the master of Hammond Organ wisardry, to gaining a position of a respected composer of classical music in the circles, he's also an outstanding human being. To my feelings - the only one in the rock business proudly standing comparison to Ronnie James Dio, a true British gentlemen in the best sense, and probably the last one of such dignity. Ever witty, full of distinctive humour and positive energy, with a wonderful radio-friendly voice and completely heartmelting timbre of laughter.

He absolutely encapsulates to me the formula of The Rennaisance Man in the modern age of 21st century - musical horizons as wide as possible and a charming man, who embraces you with his personality and makes you want to stick around with. Can I call you Dad, Jon...  :tongue: :ha: I love him dearly, a wonderful Inspirator in my life.

Best wishes to Jon on His very Day.

Couple of lovely bits regarding his Hammond skills in Purple, also capturing his wonderful "storytellingness" and humour:

And probably two of his best televised moments:

"Lazy" - based improv section during California Jam, 1974

and the bit of New York 1973 appearance, just a month before MK II broke-up for the first time. To me this is probably the wildest improvisation of Jon that ever got caught on the video tape, it's freakingly hot. Despite the tension between them at the time, Purple were at their absolute peak AFTER "Made In Japan" in 1st half of 1973.

So, let's celebrate, drink a pint for Jon today and if you fancy to share your feelings of the Man, please do. I'll be happy, so will be you.  :shred:
Post edited by otcconan on

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,830
    The man has an amazing organ.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • whoopass1whoopass1 Posts: 1,395
    :rotflmfao:

Maybe he'll celebrate turning 69, by engaging his wife in a passionate 69.......That is, after they enjoy some of his birthday cake first.
  • BaddstuffBaddstuff Posts: 1,305
    Happy Birthday JL!
    one of my favorite keys players of all time. The X factor in DP.
    His work on the Hammond is among the greatest in rock history, in my book.
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,077
    The best keyboardist In Rock (pun intended),ever.Period. :clap:
    Happy Birthday to the maestro.
    Here's to many more,thanks for all the years of your keyboard wizardry.
    :drinkin:
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,794
    Happy Birthday to him. My all-time favorite keyboardist  :notworthy:  There's so much metal in his tone and playing that he could be a guitarist.  :biggrin2:

• Sun Red SunSun Red Sun Posts: 476
    Great to see some of you like Jon's work too! I really love the way he drives the Hammond on the mentioned 'Space Truckin' ' video, the tiger-like wraah's he does always twist me upside down, as well as the way he recaptures the full-tilt-ride-down after the synth slowdown - leaning on the Hammond with the knee on low register section, getting the engine roarrrrrrrr.... Awesome. That's what heat's me up best - I love Hammond sound either way in every style and mood, but that's the joyiest and the rauncheiest way to DO IT RIGHT! :shred: Blackmore and Lord both knew how to utilize the Hendrix lov'in'sane manner of sonic experimentation on their instruments and they got loads of glory from that. Pure winners. And Jon used to be a Hendrix of Hammond organ (and if he was a B3 Hendrix - Emerson was B3 Malmsteen...). The RB-JL duet turned me on these kinds of climates on forever, they rebuilt my musical life 17 years ago. Loved the way it flows ever since then.

Meanwhile, just couple a hours after I managed to sneak birthday wishes to Jon's website, I got news that he's coming down to the country in November. Prior to my namesday he plays a gig in Warsaw. I'm flying high again, I'll be seeing him in action, first row booked for me, close family members and couple of friends. I want to let them expirience the magnificence of the Lord with their own senses.

Life is grand!  :shred: :guitar:
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,794
    [quote author=Sun Red Sun link=topic=10604.msg162223#msg162223 date=1276198439]
    Prior to my namesday he plays a gig in Warsaw. I'm flying high again, I'll be seeing him in action, first row booked for me, close family members and couple of friends. I want to let them expirience the magnificence of the Lord with their own senses.

[/quote]

:up:  Enjoy!
  • BaddstuffBaddstuff Posts: 1,305
    [quote author=Sun Red Sun link=topic=10604.msg162223#msg162223 date=1276198439]
    Great to see some of you like Jon's work too! I really love the way he drives the Hammond on the mentioned 'Space Truckin' ' video, the tiger-like wraah's he does always twist me upside down, as well as the way he recaptures the full-tilt-ride-down after the synth slowdown - leaning on the Hammond with the knee on low register section, getting the engine roarrrrrrrr.... Awesome. That's what heat's me up best - I love Hammond sound either way in every style and mood, but that's the joyiest and the rauncheiest way to DO IT RIGHT! :shred: Blackmore and Lord both knew how to utilize the Hendrix lov'in'sane manner of sonic experimentation on their instruments and they got loads of glory from that. Pure winners. And Jon used to be a Hendrix of Hammond organ (and if he was a B3 Hendrix - Emerson was B3 Malmsteen...). The RB-JL duet turned me on these kinds of climates on forever, they rebuilt my musical life 17 years ago. Loved the way it flows ever since then.

Meanwhile, just couple a hours after I managed to sneak birthday wishes to Jon's website, I got news that he's coming down to the country in November. Prior to my namesday he plays a gig in Warsaw. I'm flying high again, I'll be seeing him in action, first row booked for me, close family members and couple of friends. I want to let them expirience the magnificence of the Lord with their own senses.

[/quote]

DP MKII is one of my favorite bands and a lot of it has to do with Lord's powerful Hammond work. He was the perfect compliment to Ritchie's fiery guitar work.
    The Hammond going thru a Leslie cabinet in the hands of someone like Lord is a mighty beast. Nothing like it!
    Speaking of Hammond on June 18th I'll be seeing original Santana keyboardist Greg Rolie here in New York. Another one of my favorite Hammond players.
    Truly looking forward to that show!
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,652
    Happy Birthday Mr. Lord. And, hopefully, many more to come.
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,077
    I don't know if it was always, or in later years or what.....but he also played that B3 through Marshalls...that tone that's only Jon Lord's.
    If that ain't Dino, I don't know what is. :metal:
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,484
    Happy Birthday John!....He really is the greatest keyboard player in the history of
    Rock N Roll and Hard Rock.
  • otcconanotcconan Posts: 5,680
    Little inside Dino joke:

When my best friend and greatest rhythm guitarist in the world (and past roommate) heard a Deep Purple song, he would always say this.

"We are in the Presence of John Lord."