Nazareth - Hair of the Dog

cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,221
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
I got a cheap download of Nazareth's Hair of the Dog last week, and I'm finding I can't stop listening to it. Besides the obvious title track and the hit "Love Hurts," there is a lot of great music on this 1975 release, like "Miss Misery" and "Changin' Times." I don't know much about this band, personnel-wise, but the guitars are churning out riffs left and right!

Any other fans?
Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!

Comments

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,494
    Yeah I was kind of late to that party to. Always liked the two hits ever since I was a kid...but for one reason
    or another I never bought an album. I finally got an Anthology about 3 and a half years ago and really dig it. I
    need to dive further into their catalog. Great band.
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,943
    I heard that one, the same day I heard Black Sabbath Sabotage, and I was a fan of both since. I must have been around 13 years old. So it is very embedded in my dna and part of the soundtrack to my growing up.

I like most of this album, though something about Dan Mccafferty´s voice annoys after a while. Not that he´s not a great singer, he certainly is (was ?), but there is something too urgent, too forced about his delivery. But the guitar sounds are great all the way.

The riff to Changin Times has always been a fave of mine.
    Fave song off Hair Of The Dog is Miss Misery, very Bachman Turner Esque, in a good way.
    The hit "Love Hurts" was so humongus a hit (in europe ar least) that I allways skip that one.

The song Razamanaz, from the album Razamanaz, is to me every bit as important as other Iconic songs like Immigrant Song, Paranoid or Breakin´The Law.
    So yeah, I´m kind of a Fan, but I find they are kind of a one hit wonder, there´s stuff on their other albums I like, but I haven´t heard any album of theirs that I like as much as HOTD.
    Crank it up, and enjoy.
    HOTD was actually their sixth album, and they made like 20 since.

They used slide and open tuning quite a bit.

Yes, it is a very good album, that i´m gonna listen to today.
    Thanx !
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,797
    I discovered Nazareth when I was 15-16 (at the same time I discovered Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath). There's a lot of great stuff to enjoy in their catalogue… and a lot of awfully cheesy songs too. When the cheesy part is not overbearing, you get great albums like "Hair of the Dog" and "No Mean City" (my personal favorite).  On HOTD, my favorite tracks are "Beggars Day", "Miss Misery" and the title song.

Dan Mc Cafferty's vocals are very distinctive, they impress on the harder stuff, but as Agrippa said, they can get annoying after a while, on softer tracks he sometimes sounds like a painfully constipated Rod Stewart.  Guitarwise, there's a variety of great 70s tones, and tasty playing by Manny Charlton, including really hot slide stuff.  If you like "HOTD", I recommend to check out "No Mean City" as well. At that time, Zal Cleminson (ex- Sensational Alex Harvey Band) had joined Nazareth, providing the band with an interesting twin guitar attack.

"No Mean City":

"Simple Solution":
  • Nazareth ain't dino? Manny Charlton doesn't have really mindblowing solos, but I love his style. He always had a few killer riffs and his tone was badass. McAfferty also had a great voice and was supposedly a huge influence on Axl Rose.
  • Nazareth has always been Dino to me! Aside from Love Hurts(great version by the way) there are TONS of riffs all over that album.
  • Smoking GunsSmoking Guns Posts: 4,547
    [quote author=CrazyW link=topic=10499.msg160582#msg160582 date=1274861704]
    Nazareth ain't dino? Manny Charlton doesn't have really mindblowing solos, but I love his style. He always had a few killer riffs and his tone was badass. McAfferty also had a great voice and was supposedly a huge influence on Axl Rose.
    [/quote]

Crazy W was going to say the same thing... Axl has a lot of McAfferty in him.
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    I always thought Beggars Day was a great tune.  Hair is full of great stuff, but my fave will always be No Mean City.  That is a fab album from when the band just couldn't do any wrong.  Excellent album.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• Jay GJay G Posts: 2,682
    I dig this album but always prefered Malice In Wonderland and also the live one ITS NAZ.