Rolling Stones - Plundered my Soul

Smoking GunsSmoking Guns Posts: 4,547
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area

I think the song is from the Exile on Main Street sessions but with new vocals from Mick?  Not sure, pretty cool song..

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,843
    Exile is getting a lot of hype lately due to this re-mastering/re-release which is accompanied by a film of the Stones shot during the making of the album in their decadent, druggie heyday. I don't know if the film comes with the re-release or not.

My problem is that I really don't like Exile at all.  Its far and away, my least favorite RS album of all time. (Even Mick has said he feels it's not as good as the others from that era). One or two tracks are OK Stonesy fare, (I never liked Tumblin' Dice) but other that that, it's almost a country/blues album.  And that's not what I want from the Stones.

So while I'd like to see the film (and expect I will at some point), they can keep the music.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • Smoking GunsSmoking Guns Posts: 4,547
    I like the song.  I think its pretty cool...  I like Mick Taylor a lot.

Like Dave, I prefer Sticky Fingers, Let it Bleed, Goats Head Soup to Exile on Main St.  However, Exile is a great album to just put on and let it play and not really pay attention, its enjoyable for the most part.  I like Sweet Virginia, Shine a Light, Tumbling Dice, Loving Cup... 
    I bought the album today, it is pretty freaking cool.  I like the songs a lot, its like going back in time, I love the 70's era Stones.
    I guess I am the only one here that bought the album re-release.  I love the disc full of new songs.  They are great, if you like the Stones, these are really worth checking out. 
  • Mike_HMike_H Posts: 769
    You are not the only one, I bought it, too! Mine is the iTunes version, but has the videos etc, so I imagine it is pretty much the same as yours. I love it, Exile is one of my favorite Stones albums, somewhere up there with Sticky Fingers, Beggar's Banquet, and Let it Bleed. They all get relatively heavy rotation on my mp3 player.
    I have always liked Mick Taylor, had intended to see him in 2009 (he was supposed to be at Ottawa Bluesfest), but he cancelled due to health reasons. I really hope he makes it over here again some day, can't imagine there is much $$$ in it for him, though.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,653
    For me, Let It Bleed, Get Your Ya Ya's Out and Sticky Fingers are the cream of the crop.

And yes. Mick Taylor / Keith Richards were the best guitar pairing the Stones ever had.

To this day I can't figure the selection of Ron Wood. He's like Keith Richards lite. What the hell do you need him for when you've already got a better one already slashing away. Let Keith handle all the writing and rhythms and hire a decent lead player.

"On Rhythm Guitar .......... Keith Richards!"  :up:

"Backing Keith on 2nd Rhythm Guitar .......... Ron Wood!"  :wank:

This would be like The Who hiring Malcolm Young to back up Pete Townshend.  :036:
    [quote author=inmyhands link=topic=10455.msg166869#msg166869 date=1282569084]
    For me, Let It Bleed, Get Your Ya Ya's Out and Sticky Fingers are the cream of the crop.

And yes. Mick Taylor / Keith Richards were the best guitar pairing the Stones ever had.

To this day I can't figure the selection of Ron Wood. He's like Keith Richards lite. What the hell do you need him for when you've already got a better one already slashing away. Let Keith handle all the writing and rhythms and hire a decent lead player.

"On Rhythm Guitar .......... Keith Richards!"  :up:

"Backing Keith on 2nd Rhythm Guitar .......... Ron Wood!"  :wank:

This would be like The Who hiring Malcolm Young to back up Pete Townshend.  :036:
    [/quote]

Ronnie is no Mick, but put on Some Girls and there is some nice tasty lead playing by Wood....  Remember, they wanted Beck, but he laughed them off, so they got a Beck look a like in Wood.
  • pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,638
    I think the vibe that the Stones were going for when they hired Ronnie was that they wanted to be perceived as a good-time rock n' roll band, with the emphasis on the band and the audience all having fun, rather than being a band of instrumental wizards. Ronnie had that in spades, even during his time with Rod Stewart and The Faces. Ronnie was the perfect guy for the Stones.

Instrumental expertise was never what the Stones were about, which is why there was such a conflict with Mick Taylor. Mick was a serious player in a band that didn't want to be known as serious musicians. The Stones know what they are and they like it.
    I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

• mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,621
    I just got into Exile becuase of the reissue and I like it a lot! Really, it is probably my fav Stones-record right now (that changes like every three months).

You can really smell the coke and Jack as you put it on - it has that dangerous rock n roll vibe that also early Aerosmith, Appetite for Destruction and many swedish rock- and punkbands from the '70s I like had.

Gotta add - I really love the cover. It kicks major ass :metal: