Mike Stern

Mike_HMike_H Posts: 769
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
Anybody else into his playing?
My introduction to him was actually through a music teacher playing me Miles Davis Star People in the 80s. I really like some of his stuff. Especially when he injects some sort of outside distorted bluesy licks into a jazz tune.
I also thought his Standards album was great, and his newest one, Big Neighbourhood, has Steve Vai and Eric Johnson on it, also pretty good.
Thoughts?

Comments

• SoulstealerSoulstealer Posts: 2,305
    He's a guy that I've heard sparingly, but as I seem to be getting into jazz more and more, I'll have to check him out. I had one of his cds back in high school, whatever one came out around 90-92, and it was just too sophisticated for my Skid Row/Damn Yankees-soaked mind at the time. :tongue:

I love that he plays a Tele or Tele-style guitar, though.
  • JoebuddhaJoebuddha Posts: 2,125
    Mike is a guy who leaves me cold, same with Scofield.
    I know that they are both great players, I know that they do cool shit but it just doesn't engage me in any real way.
    I call those guys "The Brecker Brothers School".
    They're the guys who were born in the mid 50's and got into jazz just as jazz was dying and tried to inject some rock into it.
    I love jazz, mostly because I grew up listening to it through my parents but that kind of is just not my thing.
    I feel the same way about Steely Dan I know their music is really sophisticated and cool but it just doesn't rock my boat.
  • BaddstuffBaddstuff Posts: 1,305
    not my favorite guitarist by any stretch but I can get into quite a bit of his stuff. I've seen him numerous times and as far back as mid 80's with Steps Ahead.
    I went to see him a few weeks back in a small pub-type place because I knew his drummer that night and he was pretty hot. It was a trio gig with Richard Bona
    on bass. Joebuddha mentioned Scofield. Push comes to shove I'll take Sco over Stern.
  • JoebuddhaJoebuddha Posts: 2,125
    You see now Richard Bona is a BADASS!!
    And an extremely cool guy, I've sold him a lot of gear over the years and I've had the pleasure of spending hours hanging out listening to Richard just jam out on bass and guitar while just singing the whole time.
    That guy is the embodiment of a true musician and I've never met a nicer or more talented guy in my life.
    I live about two blocks from a South African restaurant called Madiba and all of the African musicians in Brooklyn hang there.
    I've seen Richard sit in with the guys from Paul Simons band there and it was incredible stuff.
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    I have a dozen or so CDs and bootlegs . { a bunch of my musician friends LOVE him }

I have also seen him live several times... which is a little better than the recordings . He has a very unique approach to scales and arpeggios but I'm kinda with Joe .

I like some of Scofield .
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,682
    he is good but I agree with the others here.  Bought Big Neighborhood because of the reviews and special guests.  I finally ripped to the IPOD and have heard probably no more than 3 songs.  They were good and if they are any indication of the rest of the CD this may well be his best.  Also, all Tele players get extra credit with me same with ES335 guys.
  • BaddstuffBaddstuff Posts: 1,305
    [quote author=Joebuddha link=topic=10424.msg159378#msg159378 date=1273710621]
    You see now Richard Bona is a BADASS!!
    And an extremely cool guy, I've sold him a lot of gear over the years and I've had the pleasure of spending hours hanging out listening to Richard just jam out on bass and guitar while just singing the whole time.
    That guy is the embodiment of a true musician and I've never met a nicer or more talented guy in my life.
    I live about two blocks from a South African restaurant called Madiba and all of the African musicians in Brooklyn hang there.
    I've seen Richard sit in with the guys from Paul Simons band there and it was incredible stuff.
    [/quote]

right you are about Bona. Amazing bass player/vocalist who's a regular Joe. Very approachable and friendly. The first time I saw him with
    Stern he played this solo piece where he accompanied himself via some sort of loop device and he blew me away. Very talented and creative.
  • JohnnyJohnny Posts: 81
    Seen him live once. He was okay live, on records he's boring(to me). Overall I get this feeling that he's trying to be somebody else, trying, not being. Sense some sort of fakeness. But he's a jazzer and I don't know much 'bout jazz, so what do I know... Just what I feel. Maybe I just don't like his style.
  • BreakfastimeBreakfastime Posts: 2,152
    I like Mike Stern pretty much, but the last time I heard something that I thought was him, and really liked it...
    well it turned out to be somebody else (Foley) so go figure.
    Bumping this because I just bought a few books on jazz guitar, and one of them is Mike Stern Signature Licks. It's a great, great book with 14 different solos/tunes, and some really in-depth extra lessons, interview and gear rundown, and a cd. I'm trying to get a grasp on how these guys think and play over these complex chords and changes. It is quite challenging, to say the least. Some of his lines are just  :wacky:

I'm not really looking to steal licks (well, maybe some choice ones!), as I don't really PLAY jazz at the moment, but more to get an insight on some of the players that I like to hear, learn what they're doing musically, why it works for me, and how to add this to my arsenal.

BTW, the other books that I got were Pat Martino Signature Licks (what a monster), The Best Of Jazz Guitar, and Giant Steps For Guitar, all of which are by Wolf Marshall, who I feel is the cream of the crop for instructional material. He's fantastic for analytical-types like me. :biggrin:
  • whoopass1whoopass1 Posts: 1,395
    Mike Stern is ok, but I'd much rather lsten to his brother.....Howard.  :smile:
  • lasm2000lasm2000 Posts: 137
    I really like Mike Stern. While I agree that his latest album (Big Neighborhood) is sorta average, he also has much better releases, I personally prefer Odds or Evens, Upside Downside or Voices as much better albums.

I had also used one of his songs (Chromazone) as a very useful (and challenguing) warmup excercise for a while.

Now, my complain with him is that he is the fusion analogue to Malmsteen or AC/DC, once you have heard a few of his albums then the rest start sounding quite repetitive...
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,653
    I enjoy his music, but, he's not the friendliest person in the world. He just has this air of "I'm there and you're not". Then again, I don't like anyone who thinks they're better than someone else. Brothers and Sisters consider themselves equals. Never betters.
    [quote author=inmyhands link=topic=10424.msg164640#msg164640 date=1279259088]
    I enjoy his music, but, he's not the friendliest person in the world. He just has this air of "I'm there and you're not". Then again, I don't like anyone who thinks they're better than someone else. Brothers and Sisters consider themselves equals. Never betters.
    [/quote]

Did you meet him in person?

I've only seen interviews with him, and he came off as engaging and friendly, but then again, cameras were rolling......

That's a shame if his ego has run rampant, like too many people.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,653
    He's been in town a few times. A lot of jazz guitarists come through. Like any city, St. Louis has it's normal and upper crust people. Mike likes the attention of the upper crust. You won't find him hanging at the park with his toes in the lake. He's a Pro. He knows which back pockets carry the thickest wallets and prefers their company over the common man. To each his own.