Benedictum

HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,920
Has anyone here checked out this band? It's refreshing to hear a female-fronted heavy metal band that doesn't sound like Nightwish :puke:.

I wasn't completely wild about the band itself, but the vocalist sounds like the mean sister of Udo Dirkschneider and early '80's Ronnie James Dio.

She sounds best on great songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ti_WHZAAp8

This version of Balls to the Wall gave me intense shivers. There's no replacing Udo, but this woman, Veronica Freeman, definitely sounds on her way up.

I actually like her as much as stars like Angela Gossow, mostly because of the aforementioned Dio and Udo influence. Veronica is brutal, but in the classic, gut munching "Mob Rules" way. I strongly reccomend folks check her out.
Post edited by Jason on

Comments

• Well she's interesting.  Nice job but I'd like to go youtube some of their own stuff.  I can't really tell what she sounds like and how she likes to sculpt things with this cover. She's got a cool "I'm a badass chick" thing going on with her voice but I want her to sing a cool bad ass chick song not imitate a badass dude. At least until I can get a handle on the band and on her singing.

Here we go- she can sing without doing that punk rock/screamy/angry chick thing with her voice. (I dig the punk rock/screamy/angry chick thing but I wanted hear something that wasn't a cover.)

Hmmm.  I think she obviously can sing. Don't think it's my sort of thing- at least this song. I'm kind of bored. I don't know why. 

What is it about the female voice that we don't have any contributors in the Dino arena?  What happened there? The formula only allows for male vocals?
  • So after stepping away for a bit and having Balls To The Wall stuck in my head....I think hearing Veronica Freeman singing Accept would be a lot of fun if it was live and in person. That's a cover that sounds a lot like the original though as far as her inflection and relationship with the song so I feel like I can just run out to my car and get the cassette with Udo Dirkschneider singing on it.
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,943
    That´s very good, just too bad that she kind of looks like a young Blackie Lawless (with two rather notable exceptions).
    But not bad (the voice).

I actually like their Balls Cover better than the original, I have serious trouble with Udo´s voice.

As far as recent female vocalists in metal goes, I very much like the voice of this singer that Cradle Of Filth use on this song, sound kind of like a more intense Doro Pesch. She calls herself Dirty Harry.

ble
  • :roll:

Come on, gross! When I was in high school I had plans to MARRY Blacky Lawless! 
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,920
    [quote author=Agrippa link=topic=10386.msg158858#msg158858 date=1273145936]But not bad (the voice).

I actually like their Balls Cover better than the original, I have serious trouble with Udo´s voice.[/quote]

After having listened to it a few times, I am close to agreeing...but only in regard to the voice.  The music behind Dirkschneider, and the production, is of course way better. Freeman is the whole band here.
    I called her yesterday. She's very likeable and interested. I can use her, definitely. When I can asked her about Dirkschneider and Dio, she laughed and said "that's what I do!".
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,843
    I've heard them before.  They've been around longer than you might think. She does kind of a Dio thing too on some of the originals.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    Both Benedictum albums are pretty good if you're into a powermetal take on Dio.
    I missed the chance to see the band live, unfortunately.

:offtopic:
    I always thought Blacky Lawless and Lucy Lawless (in her Xena days) could be siblings.
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=10386.msg158865#msg158865 date=1273149174]
    I've heard them before.  They've been around longer than you might think. She does kind of a Dio thing too on some of the originals.
    [/quote]
    The performances on the originals are what first hooked me, and the Accept cover sold me. She's perfect for the parts in my opera.
  • [quote author=Sancho link=topic=10386.msg158867#msg158867 date=1273149520]

I always thought Blacky Lawless and Lucy Lawless (in her Xena days) could be siblings.
    [/quote]
    :offtopic: You are certainly on a roll today.  Cracking me up.
    [quote author=Sancho link=topic=10386.msg158867#msg158867 date=1273149520]

[/quote]

For the longest time I thought they were related.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,797
    Yes, I've checked them out a while ago. I like Veronica Freeman's vocals, I think she has enough power and cold aggression in her voice to sing really heavy stuff, and not only the "punk-rock angry kid" thing, as guitarednfeathered said very well. This Accept cover was impressive, for example. As for the band as a whole, I never really got into their music, they're more than competent, but something was lacking overall IMO. I should give them another try, though. 

On a sidenote, she's gorgeous. Just my opinion :rolleyes:

I had seriously contemplated Angela Gossow for the character I have in mind, but in my opinion Veronica is simply more dynamic. Angela is mostly great at the full on stuff, in fact she's probably the best at the full on death style. But I found that I want more flexibilty.

Nothing against Angela, love her and really like Arch Enemy.

• Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,797
    [quote author=Haffner link=topic=10386.msg158882#msg158882 date=1273156172]
    I had seriously contemplated Angela Gossow for the character I have in mind, but in my opinion Veronica is simply more dynamic. Angela is mostly great at the full on stuff, in fact she's probably the best at the full on death style. But I found that I want more flexibilty.

[/quote]

They have different styles, and actually Veronica will surely be a better match if you're looking for someone in a Rainbow/Dio vein, or more generally for classic metal with an operatic feeling (... forgive me if I presume :wink:).  Angela is an extreme vocalist, and Arch Enemy covers of classic metal songs tend to work best in full-on death mode, as you wrote. For example, their rather radical take on Manowar's "Kill with Power" :

I LOVE the result. On the contrary, I find their more respectful cover of Megadeth's "Symphony of Destruction" disappointing.

[quote author=Seven Moons link=topic=10386.msg158887#msg158887 date=1273159599]
    [quote author=Haffner link=topic=10386.msg158882#msg158882 date=1273156172]

[/quote]

They have different styles, and actually Veronica will surely be a better match if you're looking for someone in a Rainbow/Dio vein, or more generally for classic metal with an operatic feeling (... forgive me if I presume :wink:).  Angela is an extreme vocalist, and Arch Enemy covers of classic metal songs tend to work best in full-on death mode, as you wrote. For example, their rather radical take on Manowar's "Kill with Power" :

I LOVE the result.

[/quote]

Very cool Manowar cover! I actually like the guitar solo here better than the original.

I like the fact that Veronica can go extreme (in a mega-belting way), and also sing really well when the need arises. This is something Angela either can't or won't do.

• AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,943
    [quote author=guitarrednfeathered link=topic=10386.msg158862#msg158862 date=1273146791]
    :roll:

Come on, gross! When I was in high school I had plans to MARRY Blacky Lawless! 
    [/quote]

Me too. Well... not really, but he is (was) an amazing frontman and imo an almost undiscovered vocalist.