CAB

jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
Anybody familiar with this group ?

I received their discography recently and am in the process of listening to the first two releases .

Not quite sure what CAB stands for . I guess for the members names ?  Dennis Chambers on drums .....at least on the first two CDs ....afterwards its Virgil Donati I believe . I believe Dennis is one of the greatest drummers EVER and they give him plenty of room to work . The problem for me is drumming.....specifically the whirl wind shredding that Chambers is famous for .....doesn't have the impact unless I get to WATCH HIM DO IT . Regardless Dennis Chambers is one bad ass mofo . :cool:

Tony MacAlpine on guitar and keyboards . His shrapnel stuff never interested me . Hated his tone and the wanking never stopped . Killer technique but lame music IMHO . With CAB I find myself more interested in the keyboard work than the guitar . His chops are seriously honed and I'm a fan of shred guitar . :036: He just sounds so sterile . Hopefully he will grow on me but so far what I'm hearing guitar-wise hasn't made me take note of what track I'm listening to .

The stand out is the bass player ....a guy I know very little about ....Bunny Brunell . I'm sorry but with a name like Bunny your asking for trouble . The only Bunny I know is a 90 year old lady from Virginia that chews tobacco. In spite of his name Bunny lays down some serious grooves that are all over the place . He and Chambers are locked down tight with plenty of muscle .

Stylistically I'd call this stuff FUSION that leans towards the funk side . Thats what makes MacAlpine's guitar work all the more bothersome because he insists on shredding over almost every groove he is presented with . I'm not getting that Holdsworthian "angular" vibe at all from the drums and bass . I wanna hear some greasy stank-assedness and Tony gives me some meaningless legatto flurries or hyper-speed scale sequences that just sound out of place to me .

Anybody know anything about these guys ? Opinions ?

Comments

• EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    Tony is the weak-link of any lineup that tries to play fusion. Your assessment is so far bang on about this band.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • BaddstuffBaddstuff Posts: 1,305
    I've seen the band twice, once with Chambers on drums and the 2nd time with Donati on drums. I'm not the biggest Tony Mac
    fan but I love his Maximum Security album. On-stage with the band he sounded OK, I didn't have any problem with him or his
    playing but having said that there are other guitarists that would have suited this band better. I'd definitely call their music fusion.
    I saw them in the same place twice, a small club and the music came across well in that setting. Not sure if they're still playing
    together every now and then but if they are I doubt they'll come to New York again. Bands like that stick with places like the
    Baked Potato in California. For most of them coming to New York isn't worth it and that sucks for fusion fans like me. The Baked
    Potato has some great players there regularly. I'm going to satisfy myself by catching guitarist Oz Noy tomorrow night with
    Will Lee on bass and Dave Weckl on drums.  :up:
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    What about Tony with Planet X ? I haven't given that a listen yet .
    I like some of the Planet X stuff but if Tony Mac's playing doesn't do much for you then you may not be all that crazy about the band.
    I haven't listened to them in a while so I need to go back and revisit their stuff. I think they might fall under the prog rock category.
    See if youtube has any clips of the band.
    Jeb: Same shit with Planet-X too. But the last album has Brett Garsed and Holdsworth and those guys really kick it up a notch. I've seen Donati and Garsed live and they were awesome. But the albums tony's on, I always thought the line-up never reached its potential. They can still be better even with the current lineup because I get bored of the constant chug-chug-chug staccato metal riffing over polyrhythms. Metal riffing is a lot more than that. But the fusiony shit is awesome.
    Bad Stuff....Wow I'd love to see Oz Noy . I met him at NAMM last year and he was a weenie but I DIG both CDs. I even cover one of his tunes in one of my trios . I like his style . Cool jazzy space funk .

Scum...What I've heard of Planet X I like . Quantum is the most recent one you mention . I especially like the track with Holdsworth . I'm warming up to Garsed but to me he is a guy trying to BE Holdsworth with mixed results in my book . I just got the entire discography . I was spinning LIVE at OZ the other day and really like it too . Is that MacAlpine ? I thought it was Garsed . Somebody burnt them for me so unless I get online I don't know the lineup . I understand Devil's Slingshot is coming to Bangalore ...thats MacAlpine on guitar isn't it ?
    Yep. And Sheehan and Donati. This is news to me - I'll keep an eye out for the dates.

But get this Jeb, I'm seeing Guthrie Govan on May 30th. Very fucking stoked for that.
    That is AWESOME !  :clap1: :shred: :dancin: :metal: :biggrin: :ohyeah: :up: :mrhappy:  I'm very happy for you. I know your starved for this kinda stuff . You must be counting the days .

What is the event ?
    hey jebbudda, I've seen Oz Noy before with that lineup and it's pretty hot stuff. I love his Schizophrenic CD.
    He's got a quirky style but I'm digging it. The club I'm going to is small so I'll be just a few feet from the stage.
    He's definitely worth checking out live especially if you like his CDs. Hopefully I can get some nice photos to show.
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,682
    By the way, Jebs cover of Noy is quite nice.  I believe he just released a 3rd cd a few months ago.  Is that Schizophrenic?
    OK, I am a MacAlpine fan and I do like the first 3 Shrapnel things he did.  However, I find the Planet, Devils and CAB stuff all good but very similar.  I will tell you, when I saw Tony with Vai he was the most impressive of all 3 guitar players.  As for a CAB tour I have yet to hear anything and I speak with Billy occasionally via FB.  I know his current touring project is with Eddie Jobson and his UK project.
    [quote author=Jay G link=topic=10360.msg158427#msg158427 date=1272464078]
    OK, I am a MacAlpine fan and I do like the first 3 Shrapnel things he did.  However, I find the Planet, Devils and CAB stuff all good but very similar.  I will tell you, when I saw Tony with Vai he was the most impressive of all 3 guitar players.  As for a CAB tour I have yet to hear anything and I speak with Billy occasionally via FB.  I know his current touring project is with Eddie Jobson and his UK project.
    [/quote]

If CAB came to NY I'd gladly go see them. I haven't kept up with them so I don't know if those guys still play under the CAB name.
    As for Noy's Schizophrenic CD that came out in 2009 and I don't know if he has anything newer than that. I guess I can find out
    tomorrow night.
    My understanding is there are only 2 Noy Cds . Both are nice .
    Ha and Fuzzy are the first 2.  There is also a live CD as well.  So I guess he actually has 4.  I have to add the others to my list.
    I think we need to start more threads on these fusiony shredy guitar music for dinos. We seem to have a club here, single digit membership, but it's there never the less.

Jeb: It's some local guitar shop bringing him down to a couple of small shows. I'll have to travel 6 hours to see him. Should be worth it knowing Guthrie.