Suggest some hard rocking stuff I may not be aware of

2»

Comments

• Jay GJay G Posts: 2,687
    Might want to also check out Uriah Heep.  Sometimes can be prog other times similar to Purple.  Some stuff like July Morning and Easy Livin are quite heavy.
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    Check out a band called Crack The Sky - Animal Notes and Safety in Numbers as well as the self titled debut are good.  Sort of a prog hard rock band.  I really enjoy them and have quite a few of their albums, but AN and SiN are the ones that continually find their way back to the turntable.

Streetheart was a pretty good Canadian band as well.  First album released late 70's.  My fave Drugstore Dancer came out in 81. 

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,639
    [quote author=Breakfastime link=topic=10111.msg155314#msg155314 date=1268050953]
    Rory Gallagher 'Stage Struck' just overflows with burning hot guitar
    [/quote]

:up: Damn right!!

I would add:

Johnny Winter - Captured Live - Johnny is SMOKIN!!
    Triumph - S/T, Rock N' Roll Machine, and Progressions of Power - Emmett kicked ass on these early albums
    Blackfoot - Strikes - Train, Train and Highway Song are on this... nuff said
    Ted Nugent - S/T - Among Ted's best work
    Moxy - Ridin' High - Kind of if you took early Aerosmith and put Brian Johnson on vocals
    Sweet - Desolation Boulevard - Tons of great guitar from a band trying to move out of the pop band image.
    Bachman Turner Overdrive - Four Wheel Drive - This and Not Fragile have some of the heaviest riffs ever.
    Mother's Finest - S/T and Another Mother Further - Funk Rock with lots of guitar
    Al Di Meola - Elegant Gypsy - Jazz Rock Fusion guitar at it's best. Al is just ridiculously good.
    Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, and Paco DeLuca - Friday Night in San Francisco - You will sell your guitars after listening to this.
    Aldo Nova - S/T - Poppy, with lots of guitar
    Early Heart - Their early stuff is easily their best
    Early Pat Benatar - Neil Giraldo burns it up on the early stuff
    Nazareth - Snaz - Nazareth sounded much fuller and tighter live. Manny and Billy Rankin are GREAT!
    Pat Travers - Go For What You Know - The album that made Pat famous.
    Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs - If you like Trower, this is in his top two or three.

Oh, and forgot one from the early 70s, Focus - Hocus Pocus - Jan Akkerman was never better.
    I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

• [quote author=pprovost link=topic=10111.msg155335#msg155335 date=1268082681]
    [quote author=Breakfastime link=topic=10111.msg155314#msg155314 date=1268050953]
    Rory Gallagher 'Stage Struck' just overflows with burning hot guitar
    [/quote]

Johnny Winter - Captured Live - Johnny is SMOKIN!!
    [/quote]

:clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1:  All things Johnny Winter are smokin!  :icon_syda: :onfire: :icon_syda: :onfire:
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 3,088
    [quote author=EugenicScum link=topic=10111.msg155308#msg155308 date=1268040720]
    That's cool Isaac, but he wants hard rock from the early 70s.
    [/quote]
    Oops. Totally missed that 70s part.  My bad.
  • T-MANT-MAN Posts: 271
    EugenicScum had some great suggestions...Lucifer's Friend is a cool band.

• jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    Every Dino needs to own a copy of Deep Purple Machine Head and Made in Japan .

I'm also a big fan of Robin Trower . Bridge of Sighs is a must have .

Get your hands on some Pat Travers too .

Lets not forget Frank Marino ....The Live album rules .
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    [quote author=jebbudda link=topic=10111.msg155348#msg155348 date=1268112609]
    Every Dino needs to own a copy of Deep Purple Machine Head and Made in Japan .
    [/quote]

And Burn. Definitely Burn.
  • otcconanotcconan Posts: 5,688
    RUSH.  Everything they did in the '70's.

End of lesson.
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 3,088
    [quote author=otcconan link=topic=10111.msg155380#msg155380 date=1268170824]
    RUSH.  Everything they did in the '70's.

End of lesson.
    [/quote]

Seconded. Rush's 70s output is some of the greatest rock ever recorded IMO.