School me on Funk.

2»

Comments

• Jay GJay G Posts: 2,687
    If u are going to go with Prince start with the first 3 - Prince, Dirty Mind, Controversy.  I would also recommend Sign of the times, the Black Album and finally, if you can find it, Crucial w/Miles Davis.

You should also check out the band Rufus.  Rufus Thomas can play his ass off and there are great vocals by Carla Thomas and also Chaka Khan.  A lot of the early 70s  Wonder stuff is pure funk.    There is also a great CD by Vernon Neilly who covers a ton of Wonder stuff done in a funk, jazz metal way.

For guitar playing check out the last couple of Michael Lee Firkins and Greg Howe CDs.  All have great elements of funk mixed in.
  • LegacyLegacy Posts: 878
    Dig the funk! Can't add to whats already been mentioned, The Meters are one of my favorites.
  • M11M11 Posts: 841
    I'll add Kool & The Gang to the list.
  • BaddstuffBaddstuff Posts: 1,305
    Tower of Power- Soul Vaccination live is good and the the track Funk The Dumb Stuff
    Average White Band, especially the tracks Cut The Cake, Pick Up The Pieces, Work To Do
    Dr. John- Desitively Bonnaroo or The Ultimate Dr. John are good
    Incognito- Positivity and Tribe, Vibes and Scribes- both good
    Herbie Hancock's Headhunters
    Rick James, Bootsy Collins, Stevie Wonder,
    there's really a lot out there
  • [quote author=Baddstuff link=topic=10072.msg154873#msg154873 date=1267501571]
    Tower of Power- Soul Vaccination live is good and the the track Funk The Dumb Stuff
    Average White Band, especially the tracks Cut The Cake, Pick Up The Pieces, Work To Do
    Dr. John- Desitively Bonnaroo or The Ultimate Dr. John are good
    Incognito- Positivity and Tribe, Vibes and Scribes- both good
    Herbie Hancock's Headhunters
    Rick James, Bootsy Collins, Stevie Wonder,
    there's really a lot out there
    [/quote]

I was gonna mention Herbie and Rick James, some great funk there!  Good call!
    That is all.
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    Ohio Players . I think " FIRE " is a classic funk tune .

Garaj Mahal . :up: :up: :up: :up: They have a CD titled WOOT that blows the doors off . They play their asses off in the classic Jeff Beck meets Pfunk 70's fusion/funk tradition . HIGHLY Recommended . :cool: I've been stealin' licks from these guys for a while now .

Jay turned me on to Little Brian from Austin Texas . Its called Thrash Funk . :hmm:
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,687
    [quote author=jebbudda link=topic=10072.msg154971#msg154971 date=1267600569]
    Ohio Players . I think " FIRE " is a classic funk tune .

Garaj Mahal . :up: :up: :up: :up: They have a CD titled WOOT that blows the doors off . They play their asses off in the classic Jeff Beck meets Pfunk 70's fusion/funk tradition . HIGHLY Recommended . :cool: I've been stealin' licks from these guys for a while now .

Jay turned me on to Little Brian from Austin Texas . Its called Thrash Funk . :hmm:
    [/quote]

I just got one of the solo albums from Farreeq the guitar player in Garaj.  Haven't listened yet but it is called Cosmic Hug and was highly recommended to me.  Once I give it a spin I will let you know.